Thursday, September 4, 2008

Preparing for a Hurricane

Well, if you have seen the weather forecasts lately you know it has been busy in the Atlantic. For us it is a waiting game. Do we board up or not? Well, at dinner we were discussing if we should evacuate or not. I am nervous just thinking about a big hurricane hitting us again. The sister hurricanes of 2004 at still a vivid memory for me.

Zach asked if we would go stay at Poppy Andre's work again. That is where we road out Francis. Steve & I in unison said "no!" It was nice to be able to stay there when we did but it sure was scary!! Just watching those huge bay doors breath in and out was freaky!! Than as the eye of the hurricane came ashore, we got the bad side and a tornado stuck the building we were in. It ripped a section of the roof off. The poor people in that office got soaked. We were huddled in a small interior office inside of a warehouse. Thank goodness the kids were sleeping. The four adults wished we were. We were with my in laws. As the eye hit the radio station went out. So we had 10 minutes of radio silence. Talk about nerve wracking. It was our only link to the outside. I was so happy when the winds started dying down.

Zach celebrated his 4th birthday in the aftermath of that storm. Shaylin celebrated her fourth birthday during Hurricane Floyd in 1999. Now we may be sitting out Hurricane Ike for her 13th and Josephine for Zach's 8th birthday. The fun we have living in Florida!!

Well, Steve is out securing our new fencing to the porch rails outside and making sure it will withstand the coming storm. I will be taking inventory of our canned goods and possibly running to the store for more. I have to check to see what we have in the deep freezer that will hold us over. We are also filling up our gas tanks. Steve will get propane for the grill tomorrow. I got really good at cooking on the grill with my stoneware after the 2004 hurricanes. We were some of the last ones to get power back. We had trees that needed to trimmed back and lines that had to be restrung. It will be an adventure in homeschooling with no power. The poor kids. They wont be missing class like the rest of the county. hehehehe. At least they will have something to fill the time. When its flooded outside and to hot & humid to play outside you need indoor activities. I think we will get further ahead in our schooling.

OK, that is it for my ramblings about the coming storms. I just needed to express my fears and concerns somewhere. Not to mention the killer headaches that are coming from the lower barometric pressure we are having right now. UGH!!! I hope everyone stays safe. We will keep you updated on what our plans are as the time grows closer to make our final plans.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I'll be praying for you. We only get snow storms in pa. I can't image a hurricane.