Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Trip to the ER


The results of a "hard" days work....


Zach showing how tough he is...


Today was a nerve wracking day for sure!! I went to a friends house to have my hair cut. I brought the kids because they have a pool. All was fine until it was time to wash my hair .

My friend was just starting the sink water and the screaming started. We made it outside to high pitched squeals and Shay yelling "OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!! ZACH IS BLEEDING!! MOM!!! ZACH IS BLEEDING!!" Well, my heart just stopped. They where coming out of the pool and Zach was COVERED in blood.

I am sorry to say, I jumped on Shaylin for her continued screams. I know she was scared but I needed calm to figure out what happened and what to do next. I ran in the house grabbed paper towels, than listened as Shay told me what happened.

Well, the youngest girl found some billiard balls and decided to throw them in the pool. Well Zach's head got the brunt of the purple # 4 ball. My friend helped me rinse Zach off and brought him to the local fire house to be looked at. By the time we made the 2 minute trip his head had stopped bleeding. They gave me some ice and told me to bring him to the ER. They could take me but it would be a $600.00 bill. (By the way, my sister was at my friends house too. So the kids where not left unattended.)

We got back to my friends house, I collected Shay and zoomed home for Daddy, tissues, and a pair of shoes for Zach. We left his in the rush. In all of this, Zach kept saying, "I wish this was a bad dream and that I would wake up and it would be over." Than when we got to the firehouse he asked, "Mom. can I get a toy after all of this is over. I think I have been a good boy." That made us laugh. It broke the tension.

Well we checked into the ER at 5:05pm. They gave us some fresh ice and and new towel for Zach's head. It was pretty busy in there. It was over an hour before we where called. When we finally got called back, we heard that they had 30 triage beds and they where all full. There was this lady having massive chest pains on a bed in the hall. It was really freaking the kids out. She was crying out and rocking back and forth. It was scary.

They sent us back to Minor care. We watched the sport highlights on the news. The one highlight for all of this is when Zach found out that the Dolphins won today. (Daddy told him on the ride over and he finally cracked a smile. From then on he did better. He just needed a little boost. Shay was really good with him too. She held the ice on his head for the ride over and talked to keep him awake.)

Well, we finally got called back at Minor care. I went back with Zach. Steve and Shay stayed in the waiting room. A nurse came in and cleaned the wound. Than a really nice DR came in to talk to Zach. He dripped litocane in the wound a few times to numb it up a bit. Than when Zach was a little numb he broke out with the needle. Zach was trembling in fear. But he did everything the DR told him to do and didn't cry or move. He got 5 stitches. I think he kept expecting it to hurt more than it did. Once it was over he was good. He kept asking when we could go to Walmart to get that toy. It was 7:30pm.

Well, after we came home and ate dinner, I ran to Walmart. I needed Tylenol for Zach all I had was Motrin. So he got his toy. We ran into one of his friends mom and his friend had cut his leg open with a utility knife shortly before Zach got hurt. We met them in the band-ade isle.

Zach gets the stitched out on Monday the 29th. We are going in for his well check up that day, so they will have a little extra work to do that day.....

All in all it was a good day. For what happened, there is minimal damage. The worst is the stress we all went through. And Zach's pain of course. But he said it was worth it to get the toy........

Oh, I did apologize to Shay for yelling at her when it all happened. I explained that I understood that she was scared but that her screaming was freaking out her brother more and I needed her to tell me what happened. She apologized to me for freaking so bad. Not that I can blame her cause I was freaking out too. She just didn't know it.

So how was your day????


1 comment:

Jamie said...

Wow, how freaky! I hate when my kids get hurt...and the head always bleeds so much! So glad Zach was brave and that he wasn't hurt any worse.

Don't ya hate when you end up being short w/the kids...I've done it ALL day today, but then again I've been dealing with serious attitude issues all day too...its taking Josiah about 20 minutes to do one simple page of math...COUNTING!!! All because his attitude ROTS.

My yesterday was much better than today...today is horrible...yesterday was relaxing.